Tuesday 22 November 2016

MADPP INTER-CLASS DEBATE COMPETITION 2016 :)

Hello and a very good evening I bid to all readers!

Last week, Miss Jo had organized a debate tournament for all of us (madpp students). We competed among each others in our own classes before being selected to enter the semi finals and final which had been held at theatrette 2. It was such a great experience for me as I once again teamed up with Amirul Afiq together with Sharifah. At first, I was quite ashamed as I felt I was the 'dumbest' among the three of us. However, as time flew, we got to catch up as a team and eventually made it to the FINAL! 

I still remember our very first motion that we got - TBHT Optimus Prime should rule the world - was actually our suggested motion for the debate. To be honest, we didn't have any intentions of winning at all as Amirul Afiq had once said, "we need to lose this one. we need to give this opportunity to Adib". Competing with Adib's team as the beginning for our debate session was not a really promising start. We thought losing might be the best option. But we forgot that we got Amirul Afiq at the first place, so winning was becoming easy for us haha. "It's okay, we still have chance to lose", said Amirul Afiq. So our losing mission didn't end there. Despite our will to lose the next debate, we still struggled to find the points related to our position as the Opposition under the motion THW negotiate with terrorists. We wanted to lose with dignity too :p However, the luck didn't seem to be on our side once again as we also won the second round of debate!!! It was really surprising as we had been qualified to the semi finals - which was far far from what we had expected.

Being qualified into the semi finals had made us being more serious in researching points for the debate as our opponent asked for a motion which is quite "sensitive" I suppose : THW abolish Malay Supremacy Rights. I was shocked at first as I had prepared for the other motion which was much easier than that. But, it's okay, I just followed the flow as I already had quite few knowledge on our Federal Constitution after Biro Tatanegara Camp. As the Opposition, we were absolutely standing against the motion as we didn't think abolishing Malay Supremacy Rights would be a good idea as it might as well affects the content it the Art.153 in our Federal Constitution (politician mood: turn on :p). To our surprise, again, the motion had been announced to fall!!! So we WON once againnnn... The thought of getting into final round sent chill into my nerves as our team would debate with Helena's team (they were superb), under the motion, "There is an anti-emotion pill. THW make it compulsory for everyone to take it." Standing as the Prime Minister of the Government was not as easy as I thought because I had to define our motion very precisely and present our mechanism very explicitly. I might say that our team had done our best but we were not destined to win that motion. Losing for the first time at the final was the most satisfying defeat I ever experienced in my life. I didn't have any regret in losing as I had been this far despite our main aim which was to lose from the very beginning. And, what surprised me the most is, our second motion for the debate had been questioned in our final exam today! What a luck!

There's a lot of thing that I have learnt from this debate competition, thanks to Miss Jo and the others, and not to forget, my teammates, for being so supportive and I really enjoyed the debate in spite of our packed schedule with pre-test maths last week. Even though this was not my first time joining a debate tournament, but this one was the most memorable one for me. We won a hamper! Plus, now I know that there are differences between the prompt of the motion - This House Would (THW) and This House Believe That (THBT). It was a great experience ever!!!

See the happy faces there after receiving an unexpected-to-win hamper! XD

That's all from me :) Hope you have some fun reading my messy entry this time. Thank you :)

xoxo,
iffah

No comments:

Post a Comment